with a long history
Seven centuries at the Weinmarkt
The “Storchen” is the oldest bourgeoise half-timbered house in Middle Franconia. The wood for the still-existing attic was cut in 1295, with the roof framing being erected in 1296. These dates have been confirmed by the University in Bamberg.
Based upon scientific studies it is known that the building used to house a flour and grain market. Furthermore, the registry of deeds shows a right to cut wood in the Windsheim Forest and a right to brew beer. The archives of the State of Bavaria in Nuremberg have more information.
Family-owned since 1736
The property was spared during the great town fire of 1736. Since that time – probably even earlier – the Götz Family has lived and worked at the Weinmarkt, by now in the 11th generation. There is a plaque in the entryway to the hotel showing the family tree.
The hotel through
the changing times
The Storchen did not become a hotel in the contemporary sense of the word until the 1960s. During the preceding centuries, a large farm, a brewery, and a pub for the home-brewed beer were part of the premises. In 1876, a large dance hall was built that, for decades, was the center of societal life in town.
The brewery was closed in 1916. The owner at that time, Fritz Götz, was not able to keep the brewery open due to World War I. From that time on into the mid-60s, the “Storchen” was also a central storage facility for the brewery Brauhaus Nürnberg. Back then, the beer was stored in the cellars of the premises and delivered to the pubs in the villages surrounding Windsheim by farmhands and family members. This time period ended with the increasing motorization. Trucks took over that work, and the beer was then delivered directly from Nuremberg.
Today, three generations live and work in the establishment, and the Götz Family continues to strive to offer the guests a pleasant stay in the restaurant and the hotel.